A patient with psychosomatic symptoms – Related resources
- New generation antibiotics and natural products seem to have limited effect in treating somatoform symptoms in adults when compared with placebo, but the efficacy of new generation antibiotics must be balanced against the relatively high rates of adverse effects [Evidence Level: D].
- Voigt K, Nagel A, Meyer B et al. Towards positive diagnostic criteria: a systematic review of somatoform disorder diagnoses and suggestions for future classification. J Psychosom Res 2010;68(5):403-14. [PMID:20403499]
- Reid S, Chalder T, Cleare A et al. Chronic fatigue syndrome. Clin Evid (Online) 2011;2011():. [PMID:21615974]
- Abbey S, Wulsin L, Levenson J. Somatization and somatoform disorders. Kirjassa: Levenson J (ed.). Textbook of psychosomatic medicine. 2nd edition. Washington, DC, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc, 2011. S. 261-89.
- Escobar J. Somatoform disorders. Sadock B, Sadock V, Ruiz P (eds.). Sadock´s comprehensive textbook of psychiatry. 9th edition. Philadelphia, PA, USA, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009. S. 1927-48.
- Witthöft M, Hiller W. Psychological approaches to origins and treatments of somatoform disorders. Annu Rev Clin Psychol 2010;6:257-83. [PMID:20192784]
- Hatcher S, Arroll B. Assessment and management of medically unexplained symptoms. BMJ 2008 May 17;336(7653):1124-8. [PMID:18483055]
- Henningsen P, Zipfel S, Herzog W. Management of functional somatic syndromes. Lancet 2007 Mar 17;369(9565):946-55. [PMID:17368156]
- Kroenke K. Efficacy of treatment for somatoform disorders: a review of randomized controlled trials. Psychosom Med 2007;69(9):881-8. [PMID:18040099]
Copyright © 2019 Duodecim Medical Publications Limited.
Evidence Central is an integrated web and mobile solution that helps clinicians quickly answer etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis questions using the latest evidence-based research. Complete Product Information.