A crying infant – Related resources
- Manipulative therapies might possibly reduce crying in infants with colic. However, there may be a significant placebo effect present [Evidence Level: D].
- There is insufficient evidence on the effect of pain-relieving agents for infantile colic [Evidence Level: D].
- Breastfeeding, non-nutritive sucking-related interventions, and rocking or holding are effective in reducing pain in infants undergoing acutely painful procedures. Breastfeeding appears to be more effective than other methods [Evidence Level: A].
- Douglas P, Hill P. Managing infants who cry excessively in the first few months of life. BMJ 2011;343():d7772. [PMID:22174332]
- Perry R, Hunt K, Ernst E. Nutritional supplements and other complementary medicines for infantile colic: a systematic review. Pediatrics 2011;127(4):720-33. [PMID:21444591]
- Lucassen PL, Assendelft WJ, Gubbels JW, van Eijk JT, van Geldrop WJ, Neven AK. Effectiveness of treatments for infantile colic: systematic review. BMJ 1998 May 23;316(7144):1563-9. [PMID:9596593]
- Garrison M, Christakis A. A systematic review of treatments for infant colic. Pediatrics, Jul 2000;106:184-190
- Barr R, Hopkins B, Green J (editors). Crying as s sign, a symptom and a signal. Cambridge University Press 2000. Mac Keith Press, London.
- Huhtala V, Lehtonen L, Heinonen R, Korvenranta H. Infant massage compared with crib vibrator in the treatment of colicky infants. Pediatrics 2000 Jun;105(6):E84. [PMID:10835097]
- Kirjavainen J, Kirjavainen T, Huhtala V, Lehtonen L, Korvenranta H, Kero P. Infants with colic have a normal sleep structure at 2 and 7 months of age. J Pediatr 2001 Feb;138(2):218-23. [PMID:11174619]
- Kirjavainen J, Lehtonen L, Kirjavainen T, Kero P, 24-Hour Ambulatory Sleep Polygraphy study. Sleep of excessively crying infants: a 24-Hour Ambulatory Sleep Polygraphy study. Pediatrics 2004 Sep;114(3):592-600. [PMID:15342826].
- St James-Roberts I, Alvarez M, Csipke E, Abramsky T, Goodwin J, Sorgenfrei E. Infant crying and sleeping in London, Copenhagen and when parents adopt a "proximal" form of care. Pediatrics 2006 Jun;117(6):e1146-55. [PMID:16740816]
- St James-Roberts I. Infant crying and sleeping: helping parents to prevent and manage problems. Prim Care 2008 Sep;35(3):547-67, viii. [PMID:18710670]
Copyright © 2017 Duodecim Medical Publications Limited.
Evidence Central is an integrated web and mobile solution that helps clinicians quickly answer etiology, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis questions using the latest evidence-based research. Complete Product Information.